Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Travels

The nice thing about being a substitute teacher is that I have no responsibility. This means I can take an extra week off before winter break and head down to Mexico.

While in Mexico, I had the chance to meet people from all over the world, and most often conversation turns to the similarities and differences in our home countries. The conversation that struck me the most was with John, an Australian in IT. I explained that I recently earned a Masters degree in education, but jobs were scarce and I was having a hard time. I told him that I was adding endorsements and hoping to find work next year. He looked at me dumbfounded.

"Doesn't your government figure out the demand for teachers and regulate how many degrees are given?" he asked.

I shockingly responded, "Your government does do that?"

It seems so simple. Teaching is a one track degree. I cannot decide to put my masters towards starting a business, or working at a bank. I need to teach. I am only qualified to teach. Sure, I can tutor and sub, but none of these pay the $54,000 of debt I am currently in.

I know people decry more government regulations, but doesn't it make sense that our country would want to avoid having unemployed, or underemployed people? There is this notion in the United States that if you don't have a job, or you don't have a good enough job, then you did not work hard enough. That simply isn't true. While some places around the world take into account the number of children, schools and money before letting people get degrees, our country does not. As long as the universities are making money they are letting in people.

This discussion lead me to ask whether it really is better to turn people away at the college level, or let them get the degrees and battle it out in the job market? (When I say "better" I mean is it better for the education of our children.) The answer is yes--the more competition in higher education the better the teachers. Currently the country noted with the most successful school system in the world is Finland. In Finland only 15% of those who apply to be teachers are accepted (http://www.cybercollege.com/plume22.htm). Can you imagine medical schools simply letting anyone in, and then battling it out to become doctors? In this situation, the people who get jobs are not necessarily the best, but the most well connected.

Do you want the best person or the most well connected person treating your child's cancer? Do you want the best person or the most well connected teaching your child to read?

No comments:

Post a Comment