Thursday, December 2, 2010

Initial Frustration

I am a recent graduate of Portland State University's Graduate Teacher Education Program (GTEP). I came to my program after a 3 year hiatus from higher education. I moved to Portland after receiving an English degree from Michigan State University. I was responsible; I waited until I was settled and mature enough to take on a teacher role to get my Master's degree. After a year of hard work student teaching and taking classes at the same time, I graduated my program with a 4.0. I had one professor tell me I should think about going on to teach teachers and another tell me I have a great mind. While in the program my cooperating teacher, an excellent educator and mentor, handed over her preps with no fear of my capabilities. I was born to teach. I have known, since at least 4th grade, that it is what I was meant to do, yet I may never get a chance to enter my own classroom.

I am frustrated, angry and sad. The economy is crap; people don't care about public schools and the government is ignoring what it is our children need. In spite of all of this, teacher education programs continue to enroll record numbers of students into their programs. I am now $54,000 dollars in debt with little to no job prospects.

Move you may say. Yes, I live in Oregon-a highly desirable state to live in with few job opportunities. I tried. I applied in Washington DC, Baltimore, Arizona, Utah. I looked at rural communities and urban. Last summer, during the hiring season I sent out hundreds of resumes and applications--each one consisting of an individual cover letter and district specific essay questions. I devoted my life to job searching. Most schools do not even bother to call and tell you that they are not interested. All of my efforts payed off somewhat; I was granted 6 interviews, more than most of my colleagues graduating with me. Every one of these jobs turned me down for a more qualified applicant--a High School Language Arts teacher who had been recently laid off.

I do not blame these schools for hiring others. I understand that they want what is best for their students, and that is generally a teacher with more experience. My question is, why aren't higher learning institutions doing what is best for their students? Currently there are 42 potential Language Arts teachers going through the GTEP program at PSU; near double last year while I was in the program. I can guarantee you there will be barely 42 positions open in the state of Oregon next year, let alone the Portland Metro area. How is this responsible? Why are they allowed to do this? In all of my internet searching, I have yet to find one newsource addressing this problem. I am sure it is not just teachers; however, a Masters in Education is a one track degree. It is not as flexible as a business degree, or communications. I am not qualified to enter any other Masters level position with my degree, so how am I supposed to pay back my debt? It'll be an adventure to say the least.

I am currently subbing and tutoring, neither of which pays well or provides any sort of benefits. I am also working on acquiring a Reading endorsement--a subject in slightly higher demand that Language arts--in the hopes of upping my job prospects next year. I plan on keeping this blog, and updating it with education news from the media and my life. I want to invite other people with similar experiences to share their thoughts, frustrations and ideas.

I want this issue and other frustrations to be exposed and discussed. Even if I do end up with a teaching job next year, I want to work on creating more accountability for colleges and universities. And besides, some days, after subbing, I just need to vent.

I look forward to feedback.
-R

1 comment:

  1. 6 interviews is a lot! I earned myself a whopping ZERO but I was being picky and cocky and only applied to jobs in the Portland area so as not to uproot my significant other. Why was I cocky? Our professors told me that I am "one of the best" and "a natural teacher" so there was "no doubt" I would be one of the few to get a job--and I believed them. "Gullible" might be a better way to describe me.
    I've been tutoring (which isn't worth the travel time) and I babysit (which feels kind of degrading). I wait patiently by the phone each morning but since I chose Tigard-Tualatin over PPS I never get any sub calls.
    There are so many problems in Education, and something has to be done to stop what is--in my opinion--essentially malpractice on the part of the universities. Maybe we should contact a news station on a slow news week, or stage a protest, or write Obama a letter....something done en masse.
    I'm afraid of the longterm implications of all this. There is no way our economy will ever come out it's current depression when so many are being funneled into an overcrowded unemployment pool carrying tens of thousands in debt on each of their backs. I'm always thinking about the housing market...we are the people who SHOULD be purchasing homes in the next couple of years. Not gonna happen. Which means no new construction, which means fewer jobs in that market. It's an endless downward spiral.
    Kudos to you for saying something.

    ReplyDelete